Lectures/Training at Other Organizations
Visit to IIMB
The Banjara team learnt from the student representatives that students, particularly during their first year of the course are under a lot of pressure due to academic activities.
Date : 6th October 2011 (Thursday)
Banjara Team : Dr Ali Khwaja, Raja Reddy, Asha Sidd and Shubha Rao
Purpose : To address the students in the wake of the recent unfortunate incident that occurred in the student community.
The Banjara team learnt from the student representatives who were also Mitra volunteers (a peer counseling group) that students, particularly during their first year of the course are under a lot of pressure due to academic activities. To perform and prove oneself in a pool of high achievers is very challenging. They also refrain from sharing their feelings, emotions, issues and concerns with their classmates or seniors for the fear of being judged as a person who is incapable of managing self. For some, factors such as culture shock, regional differences, competition between IIT graduates Vs non-IIT graduates, technical Vs non-technical graduates cause additional stress. Added to this, the burden of repayment of education loans, summer and campus placements add to their woes.
Dr. Ali addressed students on managing emotions. Some of the highlights of his talk were
- The importance of emotional intelligence / quotient for being successful
- To appreciate the fact that a management degree from a prestigious institute is more like a passport to enter the corporate world and would be valid only for the tenure of their first job which is on an average 15 to 18 months. Thereafter it is their performance that would take them places
- To watch out for alarm bells in one's life to identify the impact of acute stress and seek appropriate timely interventions
- The need to talk to someone in times of distress and seek counseling help, when required.
- Finally to look at life beyond the portals of B School and one's career.
The talk concluded with introduction of the Banjara team, with each one giving a brief message to the students.
Page 2 of 19«StartPrev12345678910NextEnd»
FREE Online Psychological Counselling by Banjara Academy for anyone, anywhere in the world
- Are you stressed about your child?
- Is your marriage in trouble?
- Are you stressed about your education?
- Do you feel overwhelmed by anxiety and fear?
Just mail your counsellor now, sharing your problems, your worries, your anxieties, your fears. Your counsellor will reply to you, and be there for you until you need her to help you cope and get going.
Leading Banjara Academy's online email counselling team of volunteer-counsellors, I realize it is not an easy task reaching out to a person one has never met, never seen, without the added advantage of gestures, eye contact, a gentle reassuring touch, tone of voice and yet providing empathy, positive strokes, making the person feel heard and understood.
With the aid of only written words, it is quite a task building trust, making people open up and share and helping them cope and feel better. So when in many instances they write back saying thank you and that they feel so much better, the feeling one gets is priceless and incomparable - knowing one has done something right, something good!
Hats off to all the volunteeer-counsellors of Banjara Academy who have been carrying on this work silently, anonymously for the last couple of years. Truly commendable! - Ali Khwaja
Jobs Available, Work Opportunities for Counsellors
Free Booklets for Downloading
- Free Download-Emagazine: Banjara Careers, February 2017 issue, for courses, careers, choices, selections - for students, parents, teachers
- Free Download-Booklet: How you can build confidence in self, others, children: Practical tips, exercises
- Free Download-Emagazine: Banjara Careers, January 2017 issue, for courses, careers, choices, selections - for students, parents, teachers
- Free Download-Booklet: How You Can Become Assertive-Tips and Techniques
- Free Download-Booklet: You too can reach out - a handbook of counselling skills
- Free Download-Booklet: How You Can Nurture, Rebuild Your Relationships - Practical Tips
- Free Download-Emagazine: Banjara Careers, December 2016 issue, for courses, careers, choices, selections - for students, parents, teachers
- Free Downloads-Booklets
- Free Downloads-EMagazines
"How to Handle Criticism?" - Video talk by Dr Ali Khwaja helps you to handle criticism in a healthy wayRead more...
"Self-Esteem Vs Self Confidence" - Video talk by Dr Ali Khwaja helps us to understand the difference between these two termsRead more...
"Childhood Conditioning and Self-Esteem" - Video talk by Dr Ali Khwaja explains how self-esteem is conditioned in our childhoodRead more...
Free Audio Files for Downloading
Free Download-Public-Domain-Audio Talk, Podcast: Work-Life Balance for Better Relationships, a Happy Life by Dr Ali Khwaja, Author, Counsellor, Life Coach, TrainerRead more...
Free Download-Public-Domain-Audio File: Women Midlife Crisis by Dr Ali Khwaja, Author, Expert Counsellor, Life Coach, TrainerRead more...
Free Download-Public-Domain-Audio File: Why We Should Help Strangers by Dr Ali Khwaja, Author, Expert Counsellor, Life Coach, TrainerRead more...
Special Banjara Academy Events
Banjara Academy Presents Experiential Counselling Workshop - from 6 to 8 April 2017 at Banjara Academy, RT Nagar, BengaluruRead more...
Banjara Academy's Helping Hand Annual Day Celebrations Held on 10 December 2016 at Banjara Academy's Manthan Retreat, Yelahanka, BengaluruRead more...
'Providing Sex Education at Home' - Workshop for Parents, Teachers, Counsellors on 12 November 2016 at Banjara Academy, R T Nagar, BengaluruRead more...
Except where otherwise noted, the Content of the Website of Banjara Academy - the text, the audios, the videos, the images - contributed by Dr Ali Khwaja and his team of volunteers at Banjara Academy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.